Tim Pychyl is an Associate Professor of Psychology at Carlton University and hosts a podcast called I Procrastinate. His book that we discuss in this episode is on that very topic – it’s called Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change
But wait – there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
In This Interview, Tim Pychyl and I Discuss…
- His book, Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change
- How it’s in the getting on in life that makes a life
- That procrastination can be an existential matter
- What he tells his children: I didn’t ask what you want to do or how you feel, I told you it’s time to make your bed.
- When we procrastinate we delay getting on with our lives
- Being an active member or your own life
- The two ways procrastination compromises our health
- Fewer wellness behaviors
- Treatment delay “I’ll look after that later”
- Procrastination being a problem of self-regulated behavior
- I won’t give in to feel good
- Goal Intentions and Implementation intentions
- Giving the monkey something to do
- What’s the next action?
- Keeping it small
- Hacks to work around our irrational thinking
- Motivation and then Action or Action and then Motivation
- The meaning behind our goals
- Meaning and Manageability
- Asking what will this cost me if I put it off?
- Prefer tomorrow over today
- Thinking “I’ll feel like doing it tomorrow”
- Affect forecasting
- Thinking of your future self as a stranger
- Developing empathy for future self
- Self-handicap to preserve self-esteem
Tim Pychyl Links
Blinkist – Join the 5 million people already using Blinkist to read or listen to non-fiction books in 15 minutes or less! Free 7 day trial www.blinkist.com/wolf
Quip Electric toothbrush – the perfect stocking stuffer that will be used every day and everyone needs! They’ll think of you every day when they use it. www.quip.com/wolf get your first refill pack free
TalkSpace – the online therapy company that lets you message a licensed therapist from anywhere at any time. Therapy on demand. Non-judgemental, practical help when you need it at a fraction of the cost of traditional therapy. www.talkspace.com/wolf Promo Code WOLF to get $45 off your first month.