Have you ever heard the statistic that we only use 10% of our brains? That’s not exactly true. While there are certain areas of the brain that perform at a higher level than others, brain imaging has proven that we use the majority of our brains even doing simple tasks like walking and talking.
This huge and pervasive myth goes to show that most of us know very little about how our brains actually work. Today, I want to talk about some tangible steps you can take to maximize your ability to learn and comprehend information. You can probably guess that diet and exercise play a role, but we’re also going to cover some interesting data on how things like social interaction and social media can affect your incredible brain.
This episode is full of simple habit changes you can implement to maximize your brain’s abilities, as well as the science to back it up. You’re going to learn about how small changes can have a lasting effect. We’re going to cover ten different areas that can help you maximize your brain power, so take full advantage of the tips that resonate most with you. Get ready to take notes, you’re about to learn how to boost your brain power!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How many servings of greens you should eat daily to protect your brain.
- The importance of omega 3s, and how animal and plant sources differ.
- How lifting weights contributes to neuroplasticity.
- The number one exercise you should do on a daily basis.
- How the vagus nerve works.
- Some simple strategies for taking care of your gut health.
- Examples of resistant starches, and why they’re important for gut health.
- The health conditions that are associated with low levels of BDNF.
- A direct correlation between brain size and waist size.
- How social media can make you feel devalued.
- The importance of regular sexual activity for cognitive function.
- How sleep deprivation can diminish your ability to make healthy choices.
- Tips for getting better sleep on a regular basis.
- Why your brain needs water.
- A simple formula for calculating how much water you should be drinking.
- Why learning and reading can have a huge impact on your brain.
- Lessons I learned from the distinguished Quincy Jones.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Intellibed.com/modelhealth⇐ Redeem your exclusive discount + free shipping!
- The Top 10 Ways to Fortify Your Immune System – Episode 321
- Eating for Cognitive Power with Dr. Lisa Mosconi – Episode 319
- Brain Food by Lisa Mosconi, PhD
- Cognitive Enhancement Through Exercise with Dr. Wendy Suzuki – Episode 340
- The Muscle-Brain Connection – Episode 331
- Take Control of Your Financial Health with Jemal King – Episode 325
- Stop Brain Shrinkage with Dr. David Perlmutter – Episode 329
- The History of Soda – Episode 284
- Protect Your Mental Energy with Cal Newport – Episode 276
- How Sex Helps You Live a Longer, Healthier Life – Episode 335
- The Sleep & Fat Loss Masterclass – Episode 298
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!