Is our ability to endure tough circumstances, whether it’s in sports performance, in our careers, or in our relationships, designated to the strength of our mind? You can never take our physical health out of the equation too. There’s no doubt that when we are physically fit and feel well, we’ll tend to be able to do well in the venture that we’re undertaking.
But what if two people of comparable physical health are going up against each other, who will win in the end? This conversation immediately shifts back to the strength of our mind. Finding out what makes your mind stronger and more capable is a huge, underlooked key to success. I love the quote that says, “Where the mind goes, the body will follow.” Though we still need to keep in mind that we need a capable body as well. So, what are the physical attributes that matter most in boosting our stamina? And how can we tap into our mental muscles to make us more fit and capable overall? That’s what we’re diving into with New York Times bestselling author Alex Hutchinson on this powerhouse episode. So, click play, take good notes, and use these insights to help you perform in the marathon of life!
In this episode you'll discover:
- What makes up your body’s overall stress load.
- Why your diet and exercise can be a huge potential stressor.
- The surprising way that mental fatigue can decrease physical endurance.
- What the central governor theory can teach us.
- How a brain surgery helped to create one of the greatest endurance athletes in the world.
- How a smile or frown can influence your stamina.
- Why lactic acid is not the culprit we think it is.
- What VO2 max actually is and why it matters.
- Whether or not you can make a meaningful change to your VO2 max.
- What freedivers can teach us about our ability to utilize oxygen.
- What the mammalian dive reflex is.
- What factors can increase the percentage of muscular output you’re actually using.
- Why there’s a lot of confusion around hydration and performance (and what you really need to be mindful of).
- How your brain can be tricked into thinking you’ve consumed more calories even when you haven’t (this is nuts!).
- Three essential tips to help you begin boosting your endurance today!
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Onnit.com/Model <== Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off
- Top 15 Ways To Do HIIT For Fat Loss - Episode 92
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!