Identify and treat the most common causes of hip pain in the outpatient setting with returning guest, Dr Ted Parks. A large majority of hip pain in the office setting will be due to one of three conditions (hip osteoarthritis, greater trochanteric pain syndrome, and lumbo-sacral back pain). Learn to easily identify these conditions, how to initiate conservative treatment, and more about hip replacements. ACP members can visit https://acponline.org/curbsiders to claim free CME-MOC credit for this episode and show notes (goes live 0900 EST).
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast. Join our mailing list and receive a PDF copy of our show notes every Monday. Rate us on iTunes, recommend a guest or topic and give feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written and produced by: Molly Heublein MD, Nora Taranto MS4
CME questions by: Molly Heublein MD, Nora Taranto MS4
Hosts: Matthew Watto MD, Paul Williams MD, Stuart Brigham MD, Molly Heublein MD
Edited by: Matthew Watto MD, Emi Okamoto MD
Guest Presenter: Ted Parks MD
- 00:00 CME announcement, disclaimer, intro and guest bio
- 04:05 Guest one-liner; advice for teachers and learners
- 08:30 Case of hip pain, review of hip anatomy, and the three buckets of hip pain
- 15:35 Greater trochanteric pain syndrome
- 16:20 The zebras of hip pain
- 18:12 Physical exam for hip pain
- 21:33 Hip osteoarthritis: imaging and initial therapy
- 24:18 Hip injections: Do steroids work? What about hyaluronic acid?
- 29:00 Who needs hip replacement surgery? How long will it last?
- 32:30 Greater trochanteric pain syndrome
- 35:58 Lumbar spine versus hip pain from OA
- 38:58 Hip replacement technology: materials; etiology of component loosening and need for re-operation
- 42:03 Take home points and outro