Welcome back to The Amazing Seller Podcast and thanks for checking out the show notes page for this great episode about product sourcing. In this great conversation I’m talking with Peter Zapf, an employee of Global Sources, a company that works directly with Chinese and other Asian manufacturing companies to make their products available to retailers, ebayers, and Amazon sellers. We’re going to take a deep dive into the process that Global Sources has put in place to enable to you to skip the middle man (agents) and talk directly to the supplier of the products you want to sell.
How is Global Sources different than Alibaba?
Global Sources is a company that’s been around for many, many years and today’s guest, Peter Zapf has been working with the company for over 15 years. He tells us on this episode that the primary difference between Global Sources and other suppliers for the Asian manufacturing market is that GS works directly with the manufacturer - no agents involved at all. So if you were to search for a supplier for your product, you’d be dealing with the actual company that makes it. You can see how that could cut down on the possibility of confusion when ordering customized aspects of your products. Listen in to this episode to find out how Peter suggest you best utilize the platform.
How does Global Sources work with test orders?
Today's guest, Peter Zapf says that his company, Global Sources, is a great platform for working with manufacturers in Asia to find products that you can trust. Very much like Alibaba, Global Sources manufacturers enables you to order smaller quantities as a test order so that you can get to know the product quality and understand the process of each manufacturer that you contact. Peter suggests that you contact more than one manufacturer as you research your product ideas to make sure that you are getting the best deal and the best quality on the product. Hear about this new supplier that you may not of heard of before, on this episode of The Amazing Seller.
What are the benefits of working directly with a product supplier?
Global Sources is a China based company that works directly with Asian manufacturers to provide products for retailers and independent sellers. Their connections are with the manufacturers, not independent agents or agencies. That means that when you work with a supplier through Global Sources, you are able to work directly with the people who are creating the product you want. That makes modifications and customization much easier, and the communication process more smooth. Find out more benefits of working with a company like Global Sources on this episode of The Amazing Seller.
Scams to watch out for when working with product suppliers.
For even experienced private label sellers, sending a large chunk of money to accompany across the ocean that you have never visited seems like a pretty sketchy deal. How can you be sure that you're not getting scammed? How can you be confident that you're going to receive the products that you are asking for? On this episode of The Amazing Seller, Peter Zapf, of Global Sources, tells some of the most common scams that he sees when it comes to ordering products from overseas vendors. You will be helped by the things he has to share, so be sure to listen.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE OF THE AMAZING SELLER
- [0:05] Scott’s introduction to this episode of the podcast!
- [2:01] Who Peter is and how he got started with Global Suppliers.
- [3:12] The history of Global Sources.
- [3:25] The differences between Global Sources and Alibaba.
- [4:57] The process you’d go through on Global Sources to find a supplier.
- [6:05] How does the communication process work, and can test orders be done?
- [7:58] Can products be customized via Global Sources?
- [9:58] How do test orders typically work?
- [11:40] Minimum orders from Global Sources - the typical scenario.
- [12:16] Payment options with Global Sources manufacturers.
- [14:04] Wire transfer payment tips.
- [15:40] Future credit card options with Global Sources.
- [16:32] Walking through the process on the Global Sources site.
- [17:00] How to find the top suppliers who are most trustworthy.
- [20:16] How shipping is typically handled with Global Sources suppliers.
- [22:25] Manufacturing shows that Global Sources is part of and how it benefits buyers to attend a show.
- [23:40] Mistakes commonly seen using the Global Sources site.
- [26:59] How to make your process more rigorous as you scale up your orders.
- [27:50] Why paying for 3rd party inspections is like insurance.
- [31:41] How inspection companies charge.
- [35:52] Scams that happen with supplier’s email addresses and financial risks.
- [42:20] Why you want to move toward purchase orders as you scale larger.
- [47:00] The power of good communication with Chinese suppliers.
- [49:25] Scott’s summary of the episode.