Andrew Bowater: Huawei tells Government they may pull out of New Zealand if they can't provide 5G

Episode of: Larry Williams Drive

< Back to Larry Williams Drive
Aug 12, 20195m
1072
Andrew Bowater: Huawei tells Government they may pull out of New Zealand if they can't provide 5G
Aug 125m
Play Episode

Huawei has told the Government if they can't provide 5G, they may need pull out of the New Zealand market entirely. In a letter - leaked exclusively to Newstalk ZB - Huawei tells Ministers Andrew Little and Kris Faafoi that if they're excluded from supplying 5G equipment - it would have a significant effect on revenue. It says this could lead to them not being able to continue operating here. Huawei NZ deputy chief executive Andrew Bowater is denying it's a threat. He told Heather du Plessis-Allan Ministers are unwilling to meet and engage with the company. "We firmly believe that we're no threat to New Zealand. We've been totally transparent and open and available and told the Government that we've got nothing to hide." He says the situation is frustrating, given they're being judged on rumour and accusation. "There's been no real evidence, nothing tangible put in front of us. It doesn't seem like there's anything other than our country of origin that is an issue here."  Bowater says Ministers say they won't meet while the process between the GCSB and Spark is underway. The GCSB denied Spark the use of Huawei equipment as part of its 5G rollout late last year - citing a 'significant network security risk'.    

0:00 / 0:00