The White’s have a conversation about the last stages of pregnancy and feedback inside of marriage.
Every week married couple Danielle and Garrett J White share insights and perspectives from within their own lives regarding the following topics discussed each month:
Week 1: Sex
Week 2: Money
Week 3: Parenting
Week 4: Communication
In This Week’s Podcast….COMMUNICATION
Point #1: Am I Really Waddling That Much?
- With four weeks to go until the arrival of baby Isla (at the time of this recording), the White’s have entered the home stretch…and Danielle’s really feeling it. “These last three to four weeks seem like a lifetime and I am literally counting the days.”
- On their recent dinner & movie Date Night, an older man took one look at Danielle and remarked, “Wow! Are you due any day? Don’t have the baby in the theater!” She has a few choice words for people who make comments to pregnant ladies when they are obviously close to delivery: fuck off!
Ladies, what are some of the things people asked you when you were in the pregnancy home stretch?
Point #2: Guys Are Clueless
- When it comes to pregnancy, guys are pretty much clueless and clearly, they don’t know what to say when they see a pregnant lady. “I think guys are just trying to say something nice or funny when they make a remark like “don’t have the baby in the theatre.”
- Danielle: The only thing you can say to a pregnant girl is, “How are you feeling? Looks great, you’re almost there. That’s appropriate.” Garrett tries to be supportive but he looks at Danielle with concerned eyes, a furrowed brow, and a face that says “Oh, that looks so awful…are you ok?”
Men, how do you support your wife when she’s pregnant?
Point #3: Erection in the Desert
- This pregnancy adventure has opened up the way for the White’s to have a conversation about bringing two books to the marketplace with working titles Etiquette For a Pregnant Lady, and What to Expect When You’re Expecting – Penis Edition.
- Garrett: “The more I talk about this topic, the more I believe that this is the window. If I was ever going to do it, it’s gotta happen now because I believe this will be our last baby.” According to Danielle, Garrett’s would be a four-page book. But Garrett begs to differ.
Ladies, what are some of the things your husband has had to sacrifice during your pregnancies
Point #4: Snoogle, Belly Edition
- During sex, Garrett says he’s been sucking in his abs to make room for the baby, something Danielle has been noticing and thinks is really weird. Garrett sees it as “I’m offering support like a Snoogle, belly edition, while you’re having sex with me.”
- During the last several weeks of pregnancy, a lot of men think that having sex falls into this weird, awkward, extraterrestrial territory. They’re trying not to hurt the baby (even though that is absolutely not possible), and they also want to create a comfortable space for their wives. But it usually backfires.
How do you and your spouse handle sex during the final few weeks of pregnancy?
Point #5: Balls of Steel
- According to Garrett, a wife is one of the few people in a man’s life who can speak to a man in a way that no one else can. “They have all the data and so they can jab straight into a guy’s balls. What’s gotta happen over time is that your balls have to become steel. She’s refining you and getting you to a place of power.”
- Danielle: “My intent is never to go after the jugular or land a straight shot to the balls; it’s more out of wanting to help Garrett. Yet a lot of times, I’ll be missing all the facts and details and will state my opinion which can come across as a naggy know-it-all or as an attack on Garrett, which isn’t my intent.”
What is the state of communication with your spouse?
Have a conversation about feedback inside of your marriage.
Date Night Topic:
What have been the conditions and results from light bulb moments or major shifts inside of your marriage?
Quote of the Week:
“Part of the role that your wife plays in your life is the ability to be the “critical bitch.” Her job is to criticize and your job is to reframe criticism into a place of hey listen, my wife is simply jabbing at the king to wake the fuck up.”
—Garrett J White
“I think you have to come to this place inside of your marriage where you can take something that is meant to nag or antagonize you, and flip it so it becomes beneficial rather than something that will destroy.”
—Danielle K White