This episode of CRACKCast covers Rosen’s Chapter 92 for the 8th Edition (Chapter 82 9th Edition), Small Intestine. This chapter covers the various pathologies, diagnoses and treatments of the Small Intestine.
- List types of mechanical bowel obstruction.
- What are potential etiologies of mechanical bowel obstruction?
- List causes of functional small bowel obstruction.
- List 5 lab tests useful in the dx of SBO. What findings are expected on AXR? On CT?
- Describe the acute management of SBO.
- What are the potential complications of a small bowel obstruction?
- List the 4 primary types of mesenteric ischemia. For each describe 4 associated factors/etiologies.
- Describe the classic presentation of acute mesenteric ischemia?
- How is mesenteric ischemia diagnosed? List 4 lab abnormalities expected in acute mesenteric ischemia. List 5 findings on AXR.
- What is the management approach for the different types of mesenteric ischemia?
1.What is an adynamic ileus? List at least 5 causes.
2.Which patients with SBO should receive antibiotics?
3.What are the 3 arteries supplying the GI tract? Which most common culprit in acute 4.mesenteric ischemia?